Friends,

I bring "Cliff Notes" with me when I preach.

Hope even these scant notes give you an idea of how I used the text to give listeners a deeper and wider understanding of how the Holy Spirit is "qualified" to help us pray in every circumstance and any situation.

Phil

===

The Holy Spirit Prays Better Than You Do

His Resume’           

•the Holy Spirit participated in the 1st recorded prayer in the Bible

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

And God said “Let there be light, and land and living creatures” ... And God saw that it was good.

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule (have stewardship over the environment)  27 So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female.

•the Holy Spirit birthed the Church in a prayer meeting

Acts 2:1 When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place.Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues  [LANGUAGES]  as the Spirit enabled them.

•the Holy Spirit has an assignment to help you pray

Romans 8:26 ...the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.  27 And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.

•the Holy Spirit is highly and diversely qualified

John 14:16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another [ para-klete ] to help you and be with you forever—

-ask =  on an intimate and an equal basis

-another =  of the same kind

-"para-klete" (Greek term) =  ½ dozen translations of this word ...

One who is called (kalleo) to come alongside (para) . .  . to focus your praying. . . .

• Comforter  ... in our sadness, disappointment, grief

The English etymology is a combination of intense force ("com") and protection ("fort"). To comfort is much more than cheering up someone when they are sad; to comfort is to fortify, literally build a fort around you

• Counselor  ...with wisdom, understanding`                                    (decisions)        
  • Encourager  ...with courage: confidence, faith to be brave            (fear)
  • Helper  ...responding to every trial, trouble; pain and problems
  • Advocate ...and “sticks-up-for-you”                                               (justice)           
  • Intercessor  ...to pray when you cannot                                       (stands in your place)
  • Strengthener ...with strength to sit, stand or scale (a wall)
  • Standby – stands next to you; “with you forever”
  • Friend – one who does all of the above!

•the Holy Spirit is God himself, offering to coach you before, during and after every prayer you will every pray ... so ...

-Ask for the ____(see above____

-Seek his assistance (yield; listen)

-Knock boldly

Spirit-led, Scripture-fed, worship-bred prayers

You need to be a member of The Reimagine Network to add comments!

Join The Reimagine Network

Email me when people reply –

>>>KEEP SCROLLING for RELATED CONTENT & COMMENTARY, RESOURCES & REPLIES

• Phil, may I pass this on to others (copy into email) please? [I'll put your name in as the writer + praynetwork's url].

•  Honored to think this may be beneficial to others – please do 

• Phil, what encouraging and wise words!  I've copied them into a note to remind me whenever I'm tempted to multiply my own words in prayer that the Holy Spirit prays much more effectively than I do.

• I am leaning that prayer is our invitation to join God (one God that has revealed himself in a "threeness" of Father, Son/Savior, Spirit) ... but so often I pray as if I am inviting God to join my/our conversation.

This reply was deleted.