#Rethink: Why "Spiritually Open" People Avoid Church

Reaching spiritually open non-Christians is an exciting opportunity for the Church, but to draw them to faith effectively, we need to understand what’s keeping this cohort of non-Christians away from churches right now. New Barna data offers clarity. 

We gave spiritually open non-Christians a list of statements pertaining to Christianity and spirituality, to discover which resonated most.

• 24% completely agree with the statement “I feel like I have heard everything church leaders have to teach.”   

• 34% choose “The Church does not answer my questions.” 

• 36% say “I feel like my beliefs aren’t aligned with most of the Christians I know.” 

But the most popular response by far wasn’t directly focused on Christianity at all: 

• 51% of U.S. teens and adults completely agree with the statement “I prefer to distance myself from the politics of the Church.”

Facebook Twitter Linkedin Youtube Instagram

This finding comes from our Spiritually Open series. For more data and resources on reaching those who are spiritually open and curious, visit the Evangelism channel in Barna Access Plus.

Visit the Channel

Get all Barna's research reports, live trainings and more inside Barna Access Plus. Learn More.

Already a member? Login here

You need to be a member of The Reimagine Network to add comments!

Join The Reimagine Network

Email me when people reply –