King David confronted Goliath after hearing his boasts of dominance.
The enemy of our soul, Satan, and our culture are asserting their dominance in ways that many of us have never seen or imagined.
Like David's brothers, we men are largely absent from the most important battles of our age. We have taken on a combination of the attitude of the Rambo, the Lone Ranger and Barney Fife.
We must realize the power of community, team, and inspired joint action.
Brothers, now is the time to act! As pictured above, now is the time to breakthrough!
"The entire universe is standing on tiptoe, yearning to see the unveiling of God’s glorious sons and daughters!" Romans 8:19 The Passion Translation
The military, business, and sports teams give us concepts of Men's Ministry that we must learn and employ.
Men are primed for action and greatness. Most churches appeal to a man's mind (make him smarter).
Men really want to be called to action, purpose, and a cause greater than themselves.
Creating a Male Context – Part 1 An Atmosphere Where Men Grow and Flourish
“The Church is looking for better methods; God is looking for better men. The Holy Ghost does not flow through methods, but through men. He does not come on machinery, but on men. He does not anoint plans, but men..men of prayer." -EM Bounds
“Now Jesus was telling the disciples a parable to make the point that at all times they ought to pray and not give up and lose heart.“ Luke 18:1 AMP
“I searched for a man among them who would build up the wall and stand in the gap before Me for [the sake of] the land, that I would not destroy it, but I found no one [not even one]. “Ezek 22:30 AMP
The Value of Men in the Church – And Greater Community 1
• When a husband/dad is first to connect to the church; 93% of the families follow
• When a child is first to connect to a church; 3.5% of the families follow
• When a wife/mom is first to connect to the church; 22% of the families follow
Male Context 2
1. Men follow men – Men need male leadership 2. They are looking for men who will lead them to greatness 3. Men need vision 4. Men need purpose
• “People don’t drift naturally toward prayer and evangelism.” Leadership is required to keep these ministries on task. Dr. Rick Shepherd
• “Whenever God calls His people to Himself, He uses His leaders.” (Blackaby) We must call our people to prayer and spiritual activity.
Equipping Men – Key Concepts
• Men will not lead in areas where they do not feel equipped and competent. Men respond positively to being discipled.
• Give men a good target to pray for and work towards. Something to accomplish, to be overcome.
Men are visual and want to conquer territory. Invite them to the areas where you want to see God work and see the impact of their prayers and labor.
Men's Ministry by the Numbers 3
- 85% of lay leadership in the churches in America are women - 75% of bible study leaders are women
- 37 seconds is the average daily time a father spends one on one with a pre-schooler
- 38 hours per week is the average time a child spends in front of media
- 24 million children live absent their biological father
- 40% of children in father-absent homes have not seen their father at all in the past year
- 11 days (accumulative hours) is the total time that a dad talks with his child in a lifetime
- 12 years (accumulative hours) is the total time a father works in a lifetime
Allow the testimony of Caleb encourage us to new vitality in Christ today:
“And now, look, the LORD has let me live, just as He said, these forty-five years since the LORD spoke this word to Moses, when Israel wandered in the wilderness; and now, look at me, I am eighty-five years old today. I am still as strong today as I was the day Moses sent me; as my strength was then, so is my strength now, for war and for going out and coming in.
So now, give me this hill country about which the LORD spoke that day, for you heard on that day that the Anakim were there, with great fortified cities; perhaps the LORD will be with me, and I shall drive them out just as the LORD said.” Joshua 14:10-12
Will we use our energies to reach, equip, and deploy men like Caleb to the glory of God? I pray that we will!
This important message was made available to you through the ministry of Prayer Assist. Prayer Assist consults with and equips pastors, leaders and faith-based organizations to produce more prayer-energized disciples and ministries.