#ReimaginePRAYER...with One Word Prayers
When it is difficult or seems "impossible" to pray; to talk conversationally with God - -
- Ask the Holy Spirit for one word
- ...then say (out loud or silently) that word
- ...repeating it several times slowly, thinking of what it means as you recite that single word
- ...and repeat it whenever you are troubled or as often as it comes to mind.
The objective is not to give God more information (God knows your circumstances and your needs better than you do)
...but to let God attach truths to the termthe Spirit has given you to think about, to ponder.
- a Name (Jesus; Spirit, Living Word), or
- a Descriptor of who God is (Redeemer, Rescuer, Almighty), or
- a Descriptor of what God does (Healer, Wonderful Counselor, Compassionate...) or
- a Description of what God intends for you to receive and live-out (Forgiveness, Conviction of SIn, Freedom from Condemnation, Maturity in Christ, Filling of the Spirit)
- Employ the disciplinhe of Quiet Listening.
- Give yourself time.
- Breathe intentionally and slowly.
- Listen to the thoughts that come to you as a repeat the term/word.
- Then attach them to the word/name you used to prompt the prayer.
- Say them.
- Journal them.
- Review a previous "one word" prayer you have journaled.
- Repeat throughout the day...Many more times than you feel necessary
- The repition is not because God is forgetful; it is a way to plant good seed deep into the spiritual soil of your mind (thoughts) and heart (emotional responses)
- Make time.
- Practice quiet listening.
- Express trust that God knows all the things you are not saying with a simple one word prayer.
- Decalre hope that as you submit your mind/thinking, the Word of the Lord will come to you to reveal truths about yourself and the circumstances you are facing.